Motor vehicles are assessed at 70% of their average retail value on the October 1 assessment date. Vehicles which have active registrations appear on the October 1, 2016 Grand List and are taxed for the time period from October 1, 2016 to September 30, 2017. These bills are due in July 2017. Vehicles registered after October 1, 2016 but prior to August 1, 2017 appear on the Supplemental Grand List and are taxed from the month they are registered to September 30, 2017. These bills are due in January 2018.
Updating Your Tax Bill
If a vehicle has been disposed of during the described period, an owner may apply for an adjustment to their tax bill. The required documentation must specifically identify the vehicle in question by make, year and identification number, and the date of the transaction.
If the vehicle is replaced by another using the same registration plates, a credit will be applied automatically to your Supplemental Tax bill next January.
- A plate return receipt from the Department of Motor Vehicles indicating the cancellation of the registration AND one of the following, as to the disposition of the vehicle:
For Sold or Junked Vehicles
- A copy of the bill of sale
- A copy of the transfer of title
- A receipt from the junk dealer
- Purchase agreement identifying the disposed vehicle as a trade-in
- A copy of the original registration of the person to whom the vehicle was sold
- A letter from your insurance company indicating the date and reason for cancellation of insurance
For Stolen or Totaled Vehicles
- A statement from your insurance company which indicates that you were compensated for a total loss of the vehicles.
- A Police Report which indicates that the vehicle was stolen and not recovered
- For a vehicle that is not insured for collision, two of the following forms of proof are required:
- A copy of the accident report
- A statement from your insurance company stating the date that the liability coverage for the vehicle was dropped
- A letter from the junk dealer to whom this vehicle was sold
For Vehicles Registered Out of State
- Proof of residency and a copy of the original registration showing the date the vehicle was registered outside the State of Connecticut
- Donated Vehicles: Provide us with a copy of the letter from the charity indicating the vehicle which was donated.
- Repossessed Vehicles: Provide us with a copy of the letter from the creditor attesting to the repossession.
- All documents must indicate the date of disposition and reference the Vehicle Identification Number.
- Providing verification of an earlier date of disposition than the plate receipt will allow adjustment to the earlier date.
Please note: In accordance with Connecticut General Statute, the deadline for filing for property tax credits is as follows:
- October 1, 2014 Grand List: December 31, 2016 Deadline
- October 1, 2015 Grand List: December 31, 2017 Deadline
- October 1, 2016 Grand List: December 31, 2018 Deadline