Household Hazardous Waste
The Town of Ellington has contracted with Mid North East Recycling Operating Committee (MidNEROC) to handle disposal of Household Hazardous Waste (HHW). MidNEROC is located at:
57 Hancock Road
Willington, CT 06279
Ellington residents may bring residential quantities of HHW to the MidNEROC facility. There is no charge at the facility. Please bring proof of residency.
- This site will be open from 9:00 am - 2:00 pm on the following dates: July 18, August 1 & 15, September 19, October 3 & 17, and November 7. MidNEROC management will be available on these dates from 860-965-1910, from 8:00-2:00 pm, to answer any questions.
1. Only one person is to be in the car.
2. They MUST wear a mask.
3. They MUST stay in the car with their windows up. They should hold their license up to the window. (The license must reflect a member town.)
4. All waste MUST be in the trunk or rear compartment of the vehicle (NONE in passenger area). Your truck, hatch or tailgate should be unlocked or open.
5. No containers will be returned.
6. No aerosol paint or empty aerosol containers will be accepted. (pesticide aerosols will be accepted).
7. No oil or antifreeze will be accepted (take these to your transfer station).
8. Fluorescent light bulbs and household rechargeable batteries should go to your transfer station if they accept them.
9. All materials should be in their original containers or clearly marked.
Some Accepted Materials
- Aerosol cans with hazardous content
- Arts and crafts supplies
- Chemistry kits
- Drain cleaners
- Dry cleaning fluid
- Engine/radiator flushes
- Fertilizers with pesticides and herbicides
- Fire starters
- Floor cleaners
- Fluorescent bulbs
- General purpose cleaners
- Insect spray
- Lead based and latex paint
- Mercury thermometers and thermostats
- Metal polishers
- Muriatic acid
- Oil/Latex paints
- Oven cleaners
- Paint thinner
- Pool chemicals
- Rechargeable batteries
- Rust preventative
- Tile cleaners
- Toilet cleaners
- Wax and polishes
- Wood preservative
- Wood strippers
Materials Not Accepted
The following items may be brought to the Public Works Facility (shed) during the hours specified below. It is not acceptable to drop off materials when the Drop-off Recycling Center is closed.
propane tanks - 5 lbs & 20 lbs
televisions, small appliances and electronics
fluorescent light bulbs
Proof of residency is required and will be verified by the Department of Public Works staff.
Shed hours: Monday-Thursday, 6:30 am to 4 pm, closed Friday. Also open he first and third Saturday of the month April -November from 9 am - noon.
ABSOLUTELY NO PAINT IS TO BE DROPPED IN THE DPW SHED