Ellington's 13th Annual Winterfest &
Thanks to everyone who participated in the
12th Annual Winterfest Celebration!
Watch here for the 2016 Date and Details!
Established in 2004, Ellington Annual Winterfest & Tree-Lighting Ceremony is held the first weekend in December. The weekend includes a series of events to promote community and holiday spirit in the Town of Ellington. Events include:
- Tree-Lighting Ceremony assisted by two Ellington children
- Ellington Singers Holiday Concert
- Open House at the Nellie McKnight Museum featuring a picture display of "The Best of Ellington", which includes past events such as ice harvesting; the Halladay Windmill; Ellington Parrish Train Band and 200 years of the McKnight museum building
- Torch Light Parade at 5:15 p.m.
- Open House and refreshments at the Hall Memorial Library featuring performances by Windermere Intermediate School Instrumentalists and the Ellington High School Music Department; Card-making Workshop sponsored by Crystal Lake Community Church
- Ellington Congretational Church will offer an ala carte, inexpensive, child-friendly dinner; an afternoon carole sing and a "Warming Tree" to collect hats, mittens and scarves for those in need.
- The Ellington Women's Club will offer hot chocolate and cookies at the Town Hall Annex (rear entrance) next door to the Town Hall on Main Street
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints will present a live nativity outside of the church on December 5 and 6 from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm as well as a festive display of 150 nativity sets from around the world in their main hall; refreshments will be served.
- Photo opportunities with Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman
- Ellington High School Opening Knight Players to perform a 35-minute presentation of "A Charlie Brown Christmas" on Saturday, December 5 at 2:00 pm and 7:30 pm at the EHS Getchell Auditorium.
For more info, contact Ellen Karadimas, Winterfest Facilitator, at 860-875-3885 or write to P.O. Box 282, Ellington, CT 06029.
Frosty the Snowman Picture
Ellington Winterfest Committee Members:
Paul Scordato: Decorates the gazebo area/tree and creates the float for Santa and Mrs. Claus
Susan Philips: Director of Hall Memorial Library, she coordinates all activities at the library, as well as handling certain needs around the town green area.
Jack Rich: Coordinator of the Ellington Volunteer Fire Department's "Torchlight Parade" during Winterfest
Sharon McLaughlin: Helps coordinate all the Winterfest activities at the Ellington Congregational Church
Dave Milnes: Plays Santa Claus each year.
Jack Hagopian: Plays Frosty the Snowman each year.
Dot Shackway: Coordinates the Winterfest activities of the Ellington Women's Club at the Senior Center.
Rita Carbone-Lawson: Assists Ellen Karadimas with PR releases and the distribution of posters.
Anonymous Volunteer: Plays Rudolph-the-Red-Nosed-Reindeer
Ellen Karadimas: Chairman & Founder of Ellington's Winterfest. Manages the coordination of all activities of the Winterfest; initiates all formal paperwork/forms needed; handles the writing of the press releases and public relations; plays Mrs. Santa Claus each year.
Also, big thanks to Nancy Long, of the Ellington Historical Society for preparing the Nellie McKnight Museum; The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints for their "Live Nativity"; Express Verizon for contributing Rudolph's costume; Ellington's Public Works Department; our Town Constables; and Ellington Volunteer Fire Department, and a myriad of volunteers for all the work they do.