Town Clerk's Office
About the Office
The duties and responsibilities of the Town Clerk's Office are numerous and varied, most of which are governed by State Statute, r, and the Board of Selectmen. The State Statutes govern the duties and responsibilities of the Office of Vital Statistics.
Duties & Responsibilities
Responsibilities and duties of the Town Clerk's office include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Recording documents related to real estate transactions (View the Index to Ellington Land Records and see Disclaimer (PDF)
- Collecting conveyance taxes
- Filing and maintaining maps, trade names, liquor permits, military discharges, and Notary Public Certificates
- Posting notices of meetings and filing minutes and notices received from various Boards and Commissions, as required by the Freedom of Information Laws
- Preparing of all election material including absentee ballots for all elections, primaries, referendum and the issuing of all absentee ballots
- Accepting applications for new voters and those wishing to change their party affiliation (Learn more on the Secretary of State's Office website)
- Issuing marriage licenses, burial, cremation and transit permits and certified copies of birth, death and marriage licenses
- Registering dogs
- Selling Sportsman Licenses
- Aircraft Registration Official
- Recording and preparing minutes of Town Meetings
Town Meeting Minutes
All Town meeting minutes are on file in the Town Clerk's Office.
Town Seal Policy
Use of the Town Seal is prohibited without the express written permission of the Town Clerk. For more information, view the Use of the Town Seal Policy (PDF).
Civil Action Suits
The Town Clerk also serves as the accepting agent for civil actions brought against the Town and is responsible for processing claims and suits and submitting them to the Town Attorney, Selectmen, insurance carrier, and the department involved.
November 2019 Election
For more information, view the Sample Ballot.