- CHR is the most comprehensive, non-profit behavioral healthcare provider in Connecticut, offering a wide range of personalized services for children, families and adults whose lives have been touched by mental illness, addiction or trauma. Our largest outpatient offices are in Manchester and Enfield, with smaller offices throughout central and eastern Connecticut and several community-based programs.
A special visit to Connecticut: Keith E. Harman, Commander-in-Chief visited CT on January 13, 2018.
Keith E. Harman was elected Commander-in-Chief of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S. on July 26, 2017, at the 118th VFW National Convention in New Orleans, LA. Keith served in the U. S. Army from 1967 to 1969. He served in Vietnam as a crew chief and door gunner on UH-1 Huey helicopters. His decorations include the Air Medal, Vietnam Service Medal with two bronze service stars, Vietnam Campaign Medal, Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm Unit Citations, and the Aircraft Crewmember Badge.
The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall in Washington DC honors those who died in the Vietnam War. Their relatives and friends leave letters, poems, and photographs at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and on this web site. Please visit the virtual wall and remember the sacrifices of those who served.
Better Business Bureau (BBB) and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) issued another warning. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) have issued another warning to veterans about the latest scam against veterans. Scammers have come up with another manipulative strategy to ripoff veterans. According to VA executives, the scam seems to working on all cylinders, and with great success in getting veterans to hand over money. Veterans have been contacting their local VA’s in droves so far this month complaining about being ripped off by VA employees.In contacting veterans, the scammers are posing as VA representatives and offering VA loans to veterans. The catch, the veteran must pay up front fees to cover administrative costs of processing the “VA Loan.” Of course, there is no VA Loan, and veterans find themselves out of fees ranging from $75 to $675. It appears the scammers will get as much money from the veteran as the veteran will give.
Veterans' Coffee House Meetings
A new informal program called "The Veterans' Coffee House meets each month at 10:30 am. at Ellington's Hall Memorial Library, 93 Main Street, Ellington. The program's intention is to bring all veterans together in a comfortable setting to meet, socialize, seek and share information on their military experiences, learn about local and State Veteran's benefits and services and to enjoy a cup of coffee. For more information, please call 860-870-2100 or 860-870-3182. We look forward to seeing you there. Click here for the schedule of events.
There will be a guest speaker at the November 15 Coffeehouse, beginning at 10:30 am at Hall Memorial Library. State Representative Chris Davis will be present to talk with the veterans about their experiences, questions and concerns.
- Veteran's Crisis Center - Confidential help for veterans and their families: 1-800-273-8255
- Joe Palombizio, Town of Ellington Veteran's Service Representative: 860-870-3182
- Town of Ellington Human Services: 860-870-3131
- Tom Stack, Soldiers, Sailors and Marine Fund Representative: 860-871-2499
- Kim Bechard, Town of Ellington Assessor: 860-870-3109
- Town Clerk, Town of Ellington: 860-870-3105
- CT Department of Veteran's Affair Info Line: 1-866-928-8387
- The Women's Veteran's Call Center: 1-855-829-6636
- State Veteran's Cemetery: CT Department of Veteran's Affairs: 860-721-5838
- United States Department of Veteran's Affairs (VA): 1-800-1000 or www.va.gov
Honoring and Serving Veterans
Ways to Honor A Veteran: http://www.wallawalla.va.gov/Misc/Honor_Veteran.asp
8 Ways to Express Appreciation on Veterans Day: http://www.military.com/veterans-day/8-ways-to-express-appreciation-on-veterans-day.html
10 Ways to Support and Honor Veterans: http://www.serve.gov/servegov-blog-article/10-ways-support-and-honor-veterans
Veterans Day - Honoring All Who Served: https://www.thebalance.com/veterans-day-honoring-all-who-served-3332001
100 Ways to Honor a Veteran: http://nowurthinking.com/100-ways-to-honor-a-veteran/
Green Light A Vet: http://greenlightavet.com/
Wreaths Across America: http://www.wreathsacrossamerica.org/